So… I love food with a real passion. I also like to stay in relatively good shape! Not only do I feel better physically when I eat more whole/ unprocessed food, but I can appreciate the effects doing so has on my body. In my world, the warm summer months call for days at the beach, bikinis, shorts, crop tops and sundresses.
Due to my undying love for food, I have to get creative and think outside of the box when it comes to some of my favorite meals. One of those is spaghetti! This recipe I am about to share with you is a healthy and delicious way to avoid the extra carbs and calories of one of my favorite meals without cutting the taste! It’s a healthier alternative that the whole family can enjoy, guilt free. “Don’t knock it ’til you try it.”
****Carissa’s Veggetti Recipe****
(Approx. 4 Servings)
Items you will need:
- 1 Veggetti (As seen on TV). I found mine at Target and have also seen them at Walmart, Walgreens, and several of my local grocery stores. Price: Approx $15.
- One large skillet
- One medium pot
- Large bowl
- 2lbs Ground Turkey
- 4 Zucchini Squash
- Spaghetti Sauce of choice, I love chunky tomato, onion and garlic. (Best to go organic)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Creole Seasoning
- Onion (powder or diced)
- Garlic (powder or minced)
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Hot sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet, fully cook the ground turkey seasoning to taste using creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, (fresh ground) sea salt and black pepper.
- Add spaghetti sauce to cooked meat and simmer on low heat while stirring occasionally. Here you can also get fancy and add oregano, mushrooms, spinach… whatever you like. While the meat sauce simmers, prep your zucchini noodles. Here’s how…
- Rinse your zucchini and cut off the butt end of the zucchini creating one flat end. Do NOT cut of the stem end, you will need this later.
- Take your veggetti apparatus and insert the flat end of the zucchini into either side of the device. The device will give you two options. On one end you can make your zucchini noodles larger and on the other end you can make them smaller. The preference is yours.
- Rotating clockwise, with your zucchini in one hand and veggetti in the other, firmly press and twist the zucchini until it begins to come out in spiral form on the other end and into your large bowl. Tip: Grabbing a hold of the stem end of the zucchini allows you to have a firm grip while you are twisting. Throw away the stem piece when you can’t twist down any further. After you have spiraled all of your zucchini, set them in a bowl to the side.
- Heat your medium pot and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Take your zucchini spirals and dump them into your pot while immediately giving them a light toss with your tongs until they are just slightly al dente. Continue to sautee your veggies until they resemble more of a pasta-like texture. Avoid over cooking! Remove from fire and lightly dash your zucchini noodles with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, poor the meat sauce over the zucchini noodles one serving at a time. I enjoy mine with a little bit of hot sauce and dash a parmesan cheese… Viola! Bon Apetite! You can enjoy as much of this as you like and feel good knowing that it is low fat with virtually no carbs! Go INNNN! #CarissaInTheKitchen
Thanks for reading! Xoxo – Riss
Comment below, Share this post, and Subscribe to this site for updates and special offers coming soon! Speaking of special offers… use my code Carissa25 for 25% off your swim wear for the month of August at www.swimrepublic.com!
Facebook: She’s ChaRISSmatic