1. CAPITALIZE on your UNIQUENESS! Being unique is beautiful! It sets you apart from everyone else and makes you stand out in a crowd. Why would anyone want to get lost in a crowd? If you have radiant skin… wear hairstyles like buns and drop shoulder tops to showcase your gorgeous skin. Want more of a glow? Try bronzing the high points of your cheeks and collar bones. If you have nicely shaped lips, try wearing pops of lip color that accentuate them. No matter your hair type or texture, everyone’s hair is unique to them and them only! No two people have the EXACT same hair type, color, length, density, porosity, etc. Proudly wear your natural hair in a style that expresses your personality and display to the world your one-of-a-kind beauty! These are just a few of examples of capitalizing on your uniqueness.
2. CLAIM that today is going to be A GREAT DAY…EVERYDAY! The only thing more powerful than the tongue is your thought processes. Don’t worry about things you cannot control. Worse, don’t fear things that haven’t even happened yet or may never happen. Try not the carryover disappointments, fears or sorrows from the past into a new day. Every morning before you start your day literally say, “Today is going to be a great day.” Claim it!!!
3. RECOGNIZE your GREATNESS! You may not be good at everything, but I am willing to bet that you are good at SOMETHING! Focus in on that talent or passion and develop it. There is greatness within YOU!!
4. IDENTIFY your PURPOSE! There are 4 individual prongs that we can find ourselves in. There is that which we love, that which the world needs, that which we can be paid for and that which we are good at. If you find yourself in the very center of all 4 of these prongs, you have identified your purpose! Living a life that is purpose filled and driven by your passions will without a doubt have positive effects on you.
5. Be a part of something BIGGER than yourself! More often than not, as a society (and especially as a young modern day woman) we have seemingly become more and more focused on the image of self. Although it is very important to esteem yourself in the highest regard it can also become unhealthy. If we are only focused on ourselves, we could get lost in being aware of what is most important in the world as well as our place in it. Give back; join an organization that gives back to the community in some way. Offer your gifts to the world through service to others. It is ok to want to aim for self-improvement because we all have room to grow until God is finished with us. But it is also important to help others. “We rise by lifting others.” – Robert Ingersoll
6. ACCEPT that you are not perfect! We are our biggest critics. Give yourself a break! Love yourself just as you are. Accept that everyday isn’t going to be a clear skin day and a great hair day. Everyone has those days! Take a moment to remind yourself that you are beautiful and perfectly imperfect no matter what. You are enough! As charismatic women, we may have a tendency to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on ourselves because we are always trying to be better than we were the day before. This is a great characteristic but be sure not to beat yourself up if you misstep and remember that life is a journey full of ups and downs.
7. UNDERSTAND that NOBODY else is perfect! The image of “perfection” is an illusion! Realize that after all the Hollywood money, Photoshop, plastic surgery and Instagram filters people can literally make themselves look like whatever they want to look like. Stop comparing yourself to what you see in the media and on social networks. Additionally, RELAX if you have a tendency to be hyper critical of those around you.
8. Do MORE of what makes you HAPPY! Taking time for yourself is not only a good idea but it is vital to your happiness. As I get older, I have come to realize I have what feels like an absorbent amount of responsibilities. I feel like I have to be everything to everyone almost all the time. I also realize that I put most of these pressures on myself. In the midst of your responsibilities be sure that you incorporate activities that genuinely make YOU happy. This could be anything from meditating in a nice bubble bath with aroma therapy candles and your favorite music or taking the time to get your nails done or finally taking up that painting class! Don’t forget to soak up some ever so often. Natural sunlight releases “feel good” endorphins. The chemicals that the body releases when we get a reasonable dose of Vitamin D from the sun are scientifically proven to enhance mood. Just be sure you apply sunscreen!
9. Write down your GOALS! Having an on-going sense of accomplishment does wonders for a happier, more productive life. Write down your short AND long term goals. Check things off of your list as you accomplish these goals and keep them in a place where you can see them and be reminded. Keeping a tangible list of your goals is not only good to remind you to continuously reach to achieve them but also, once you have crossed something off your list you will feel great! I have always and will always make written to do lists. Another tip about goals is to make sure they are SMART goals. S- Specific, M- Measurable, A- Achievable, R- Relevant and T- Time bound.
10. Surround yourself with POSITIVE people! Believe it or not, some of the world’s most beautiful and talented people are unhappy because they unfortunately have allowed others to tell them (whether directly or indirectly) that they are not enough. You are enough! Cut out the people in your life that drag you down, put you down or always have negative energy! Life is too short to surround yourself with negativity. Positive energy feels sooo good! Just make sure you aren’t that “Negative Nancy”! Be thankful for the things you have and always find the good in every situation. “Your Vibe Attracts Your Tribe… Positive Vibes Only”
BONUS TIP: Laugh MORE! All the time… every day! Even at yourself!
Look at you honey…. On your way to a more happier more peaceful you already. 😉
Follow me on FB and IG: @shescharissmatic #SelfLove #ReflectionsWithRiss